Can Dependent Pass Sign Tenancy Agreement

When it comes to renting a property in Singapore, many foreigners require a dependent pass in order to stay legally. This pass is issued to spouses and children of work pass holders and allows them to live in the country while their family member is employed. However, when it comes to signing a tenancy agreement, the question arises – can a dependent pass sign the agreement?

The answer to this question is yes, but with some limitations. While a dependent pass holder can sign a tenancy agreement, they will need to have a local sponsor or guarantor who is a Singaporean citizen or permanent resident. This is because the dependent pass holder is not considered a legal entity in Singapore and therefore cannot enter into contracts without a local representative.

In practical terms, this means that the sponsor or guarantor will be the person responsible for fulfilling the terms of the tenancy agreement. For example, if the rent is not paid on time or the property is damaged during the tenancy, the local sponsor or guarantor will be liable for any financial penalties or compensation.

It`s also important to note that even if a dependent pass holder can sign a tenancy agreement, they may still face challenges in finding a rental property. Many landlords are hesitant to rent to foreigners, especially those who are not employed in Singapore. Therefore, it`s important to approach the renting process with patience and diligence and to work with a reputable real estate agent who can help navigate these challenges.

In conclusion, a dependent pass holder can sign a tenancy agreement with the help of a local sponsor or guarantor. However, it`s important to understand the limitations and potential challenges that may arise in the renting process. With the right approach and support, renting a property in Singapore with a dependent pass is possible.